Let’s be a beacon of light and spread love every chance we can. We have an opportunity to come together, use our voice and support. But how do we get started?
Here are 3 ways we can help:
- SHOW GRACE — Be kind to others and yourself as we navigate these times. I love the words of Brandy Gueary, @Authentically.b:
- “Give Yourself & Others Grace. Sometimes we want to speak up, sometimes we want to take action, sometimes we want to make change, but we don’t know what the first step is. Give yourself some grace and offer grace to others. While so much is going on in the world, we are still living our day-to-day lives and trying to cope at the same time.”
- Check out Brandy’s talk here
- Educate Yourself and Teach Your Children Young. We all feel like we are not sure what the right thing is to say, but staying silent is even worse. Here are some great resources for parents and young adults to read as a family. It is important we raise our children to be “anti-racist” and be kind to all people regardless of color.
- “Little Leaders” by Vashti Harrison
- “New Kid” by Jerry Craft
- “The Hate U Give” By Angie Thomas (8th graders)
- “This Book is Anti-Racist” by Tiffany Jewell (young people and families)
- Just Mercy, By Bryan Stevenson (for young adults)
- More recommendations at EmbraceRace.Org
- Support Black-owned businesses. Here in Westchester, NY we are blessed with delicious Black-owned restaurants and many Black-owned businesses to patronage. Please show your support by ordering take-out and by shopping at these businesses:
Accounts to Follow on IG
Petitions to sign
Where to donate
- Donate to the Victims
- Donate to Black Owned Businesses
- CodePink is a women-led grassroots organization working to end U.S. wars, militarism, and racism and redirect our tax dollars to healthcare, education and life-affirming programs.
- Westchester-based Charties supporting People of Color
Movies on Netflix
- American Son
- Dear White People
Movies on Hulu
- If Beale Street Could Talk
If you have any other resources you think would be helpful, please reach out and I will add to the list!